Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Great Post on How to Read and Enjoy a Poem

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

I am still devoting most of my writing time to finishing the revision of my poetry manuscript (hence my continued lack of posts), but today I ran across a very interesting post that I thought anyone interested in poetry might appreciate.  As one of my readers, I am hoping you are interested in poetry; I realize it is a bit much to ask you to be as enthusiastic about it as I am.  In the spirit of promoting a wider audience for poetry, I share the following.

Ann Kroeker posted one of her poems in support of a friend who is participating in a poetry dare: a crash course in poetry appreciation over at the poetry site Tweetspeak.  While reading about the poetry dare (what a great idea!), I found this post written by Tania Runyan about how to read a poem.  She suggests starting with advice from former U.S. Poet Laureate Billy Collins: Hold it up to the Light.  Runyan then proceeds to show you how, using a short poem full of images.

If you are not sure you “get poetry,” go read Runyan’s post.  It will help you “get it,” I promise!  And, it will fire you up to share poetry with others.  Seriously, if it doesn’t, you could always check back here for my upcoming posts about teaching poetry to my children.


In the spirit of sharing poetry, you can read excerpts from my poetry chapbook Entre la claridad, here.  Go ahead and try the Collins/Runyan reading method outlined in the link above on my poems.  I dare you.

If you only started reading this blog in the past year, here is a little information: Entre la claridad is a short book of poetry, written by me, mostly in English, with some Spanish phrases to more accurately reflect the dialog of South Texas.  The title can be translated as “Moving into Clarity.”  

You can purchase the book directly from the publisher, Mouthfeel Press.  (FCC notice: I do not receive income from book purchases, but I greatly appreciate your interest in my writing.)

Also, please update your subscription to this blog if you have been using Google Reader and have not done so already.  You can subscribe to this blog via e-mail using the form in the upper right sidebar, or via bloglovin’ by clicking on the button in the upper left sidebar.  Or, simply subscribe using any other feed reader.  Thank you for your readership.   

As of today, I am still seeing blog posts in my dashboard at Blogger; lately (like the past month) these notices have been coming and going, so I have moved all of my subscriptions to bloglovin’.  More on that in another post. 

In 2014, I am linking with: Funniest Post  

Notice: This blog may contain advertising links to venders I have an affiliate relationship with.  This means that if you click on one of these links, a window to that vender’s website will open.  If you shop for products on the vender’s site and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission on what you buy, even if you purchase items during a later visit.  I appreciate your support of this blog.  You can read more about how I choose my affiliate relationships here.

Offers from Pittman & Davis
Fruit Baskets from Pittman & Davis
 
Pittman & Davis

Ship Citrus as a Gift

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with finishing your manuscript. I ought to do more poetry with my children.
    Thank you for sharing with Motivational Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have motivated me to gather and polish my short stories on readwave

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, reactions, and ideas are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...